12 March 2008

March 17th at Ted's Firehouse Pub


The Orangeman's Lament


I'd like to be part of St. Paddy's Day action

But my own Irish blood makes a very small fraction.
And that bit of blood may be viewed as a blotch,
For my great-great grandpa was an Orangeman (Scotch).
And did I say Scotch? Well, I never drink,
Which wipes out all claims to be Irish, I think.
Still, I'll wear my green jeans with my green sweater over,
Play my cassettes of the Chieftains and Rovers,
Eat some corned beef on a slice of green bread,
Stop saying "Wow," say "Begorra" instead.
There are folks who may say that me shamrock's a sham
But for one day a year, it 'tis Irish I am.

ERIN GO BRAUGH
Erin go braugh!
Never go braless
Unless you're an Erin whose figure is flawless!


(Material composed by Gail Slaughter)
(Illustration work by Michael Serafin)
(Special thanks to Mary Stebbins Taitt)

11 comments:

Michael Serafin-St. John said...

For another version of the little guy in the illustration, click on the words "March 17th" in the title to visit him at "Nerd Shots".
(And a very big extra thank-you to Mary for her artwork help...!)

Unknown said...

My blood will be green one day this year, too. The problem is, with Saint Paddy’s Day falling in Holy Week, which day with that be? I think I’ll just celebrate the Green all weekend.

Michael Serafin-St. John said...

In the parish where I grew up, Our Lady of Fatima, this time of year meant the "Polish/Irish Bash", because St. Patrick and St. Joseph had nearby feast days.

Andree said...

I heard about that problem with St Patrick Day being in Holy Week. I guess the church should've figured on that happening with that arcane way of figuring Easter. Those poems are fun. The braless? hmmmmmm

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

LOL! Fun Leprechaun version and poem! :-D Mary Like the eyes and eyebrows.

Michael Serafin-St. John said...

http://imperfectnerd.blogspot.com/
2008/02/easter.html
has an explanation of Easter dating reasoning....MS

Michael Serafin-St. John said...

Everybody should realize that Mary created a figure I call the "Lepercon" from a statute she found in Slovenia, of all places. It was a great job of composite illustration but she kept these weird staring eyes in it. I rebelled and did something different with Lepercon.

Michael Serafin-St. John said...

The other question I have is what the heck "Erin Go Braugh" really means. I know "Erin" is Ireland, but can anybody fill me in on the "Go Braugh" part?

bluerose said...

check this out:
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_does_'Erin_go_braugh'_mean

bluerose said...

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_does_'Erin_go_braugh'_mean

blogger didn't print the whole link

Michael Serafin-St. John said...

'Éirinn go Brágh' is now commonly used as a patriotic cry meaning 'Ireland forever,' - 'go Brágh' meaning forever. 'Go brách' is actually quite a common word in the Ulster dialect of Gaeilge, spoken mainly in Donegal.

(This was what I found at the Wikipedia link. Thanks, Lori!)